Wednesday, August 10

Five things that get me through the days

I’m not always very good at self-care. I’m well aware I’m not alone in this so I won’t lament too strongly. As I get older though, I’ve started to recognise some really basic things I need to do to get me through the days. That doesn’t mean I always do them, I just know what they are and I try to do them as much as I can.  Here they are…

1. Meditation.  I’ve spoken before about the fact that, even as a meditation teacher, my practice can be erratic. Even so, I KNOW with every fibre of my being that I need to do this every day, even just 5 minutes is better than not at all. It is the rock that supports my little body/mind temple and without it things are very wobbly indeed.

2. Green Smoothies. Yeah, yeah I know, they’re a bit of a trend right now, but I was introduced the world of the green smoothie about 12 months ago (by my kinesiologist) and I can absolutely swear that when I’m having my daily smoothie I am a happier and more energetic gal than when I’m not having them. I’m busy and I don’t always eat properly, the smoothie ensures a good dose of health in a glass and I can get away with a glass of wine for dinner instead of food (oh come on, I’m kidding…kind of).  On work days I make it before I dash out the door, pour it into a ‘to go’ cup and have it in the car on the drive to the big smoke. Then my friends, I set the frickin’ world on fire. Seriously. Ask anyone.

3. Yoga. I spend a lot of time at the computer, my work depends on it and so does my business.  I seize up. Yoga fixes that, I’m not a yogi in any big way, I don’t go to a class but I do yoga stretches during the day and a session with a DVD a couple of times a week.  Good for the body and the mind and ace at keeping me flexible enough to…I dunno... do bendy stuff.

4. Creativity. I’m only just getting back to my arty creativity after a pretty long break but I’ve come to realise that it is really, really important to me.  When I draw (or paint or create in some way) I become absorbed. I’m no longer caught up in the monkey mind that plagues me a lot of the time. It’s a like a kind of busy meditation, I get so lost in my art I lose track of time.  I don’t think about work, or the business, or the phone calls I need to make, or the bills I have to pay, or the people that take up way too much space in my mind for no damn good reason. I relax. Apparently I’m more pleasant to be around as well. Who knew?

5. Spending time with Tom and our two girls and smooching the velvety nose of my puppy Jack.  No brainer really, these three people/one dog are my crack cocaine and I need a hit every single day. When we’re apart my equilibrium is seriously compromised and I become fractious. You wouldn’t like me when I’m fractious.

So that’s it, five little things. Obviously there are more things I enjoy and need on a regular basis - nature, exercise, Dr Who… but really, the five mentioned above are the things that keep me alive and breathing and functioning in the world without getting locked up.  They don’t cure all my dysfunctions but they’re a good start.

17 comments:

Dave said...

I do do the creativity thing, but the others have no part in my life. Sorry.

Caitlin said...

It's quite alright Dave, no need to apologise. I wasn't for one moment suggesting anyone else follow my example.

I was merely sharing some information about myself. Apparently that's what blogs are for...at least that's what I've been told by an expert.

Dave said...

Perhaps you'd like to do the film meme at my place today, and show me how different you really are.

Z said...

I also find it vital to take care of myself. My ways aren't your ways (can't draw, for a start, and don't enjoy trying) but I do consciously work on feeling good about myself.

Dave said...

Wooo! Caitlin commented at my blog!!!

Caitlin said...

I think that's the key Z, just finding whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Did she Dave? You're so lucky. She's awesome.

Dave said...

She is indeed.

RitaJC said...

Thank you so much for sharing!
Makes me think ...

Effy Wild said...

This is a fantastic list. *takes notes*

Caitlin said...

Thank you Rita and Effy, lovely to 'see' you both. :-D

Cazamataz said...

Fab reminder for self care.. thanks for sharing x

Caitlin said...

My pleasure Caz, thank YOU for reading. X

Citygirl.em said...

Hi Caitlin,
I love this list because it's so nice to read about how other's find solace and happiness in their lives. I am glad you can do meditation. Even though I have a difficult time with the Buddhism Zen thing, I never really tried meditation, but I might be able to calm my monkey brain long enough to get some benefit from it. I remember in Eat Pray Love Elizabeth Gilbert had a really difficult time at first getting her mind to quiet down as she attempted to meditate. Eventually she got it, as I'm sure most people can if they are dedicated.

I love the velvety wet nose of my dog, too...the best place to plant a kiss.

I will return again soon...I think I subscribed so I will know when you update again.

emily

Citygirl.em said...

Hi Caitlin,
I love this list because it's so nice to read about how other's find solace and happiness in their lives. I am glad you can do meditation. Even though I have a difficult time with the Buddhism Zen thing, I never really tried meditation, but I might be able to calm my monkey brain long enough to get some benefit from it. I remember in Eat Pray Love Elizabeth Gilbert had a really difficult time at first getting her mind to quiet down as she attempted to meditate. Eventually she got it, as I'm sure most people can if they are dedicated.

I love the velvety wet nose of my dog, too...the best place to plant a kiss.

I will return again soon...I think I subscribed so I will know when you update again.

emily

Caitlin said...

Thank you Emily, it's true that calming the mind for meditation can be a challenge, but even the act of trying is an act of mindfulness and therefore beneficial because you are bringing yourself to awareness.

I always tell my meditation students not to feel frustrated by their wandering minds - it doesn't help, it's supposed to be a good experience not something else to beat yourself up about. :-)

Dave said...

Odd. I had this strange feeling that you'd feel inspired to start writing a blog-post every day...

Caitlin said...

Hmmm...let me see....

Nope. :-)