Tuesday, September 11

Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep..

...as Fran Lebowitz said....apparently. I know this to be true because sleep is something I have trouble with. Well, I don't have trouble with sleeping when I can do it. In fact when I can do it I just LOVE it. It's the times that I can't do it that creates the problem. And right now is one of those times.

Like so many little babies, I'm not a good sleeper. Except you kind of expect that from a little baby. Sleep for me has always been a fragile commodity, I'm a light sleeper and when something wakes me up I find it really hard to get back to sleep. It's not unusual for me to be prowling the house in the wee small hours, drinking 'soothing' hot drinks (no I don't mean I put a martini in the microwave) and thinking longingly of what it must be like for those who enjoy deep undisturbed sleep. Back in bed I stare across at my slumbering husband and want to stick pins in his soundly asleep face. Of course I don't do that. Because that would be wrong.

I do get things done though. I wrote a meditation brochure one night last week at about 3am and a few of these blog posts have been written through an exhausted blur in the middle of the night (which will explain a lot I suppose).

So after having a few sleep disturbed nights already this week, last night I went to bed early and fell asleep immediately. Then Aislin woke up at 11pm and wanted me to come in beside her 'for a minute'. So I did and she soon went back to sleep. I stumbled back to bed and lay there wide awake for two hours. She woke again at 3am. This time Tom went through, but she whined and complained so loudly I was soon wide awake and sure enough began to watch the minutes, then hours tick past - ok, it's a digital clock it doesn't tick but you get the picture don't you?

And today I tried to write an essay. I am half insane through lack of sleep and I seriously have to finish two assignments by Friday.

Will it happen? Will it hell.



No comments: