Tuesday, January 8

Well...who knew?

I've had a realisation. After writing this angst-ridden post it has suddenly occurred to me that I was falling into that old trap of seeing an obstacle and rendering myself helpless. And then whining about it. Not only did I recently recognise that old trap (or habit perhaps?) I had a kind of epiphany when I finally understood that I am not under any duress whatsoever to do what I thought I was going to do....does that make sense? I guess what I'm saying is that I am actually free to do whatever I please with my life and my business. There is no-one standing over me telling me what to do, I am my own boss and while of course I must consider my family and how what I do impacts on them (so running an animal shelter out of my lounge room is probably out of the question) for the most part my work and my business can be anything I want them to be.

Last year I left my job because I wanted to get off the hamster wheel and concentrate on my own business and that is what I have been doing on a small scale ever since. However, I think when I left my job I forgot to leave the boss behind. You know that person who (depending on their style) guides, encourages or orders you to do stuff? When you work for someone else you're really enabling someone else's dream, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that you are limited in how much of your own creative 'genius' you can use. When you work for yourself you are 100% responsible for your own dream and your own success and pretty much free to do whatever you want to achieve those things. Scary. Or maybe not, maybe it's exciting - once you get past being scared that is.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that just because I've changed direction slightly my original plans for my business still hold. I can adapt and adjust what I have to suit my new ideas and direction. I can discuss my ideas with Tom, my sisters, friends and other business owners and receive their advice, and most importantly their support, but the final decisions and plans are mine. I am free.

So...onwards and upwards people.

No comments: