Thursday, August 16

My life is like an episode of Seinfeld

Today I feel like all the energy has been drained out of me. I feel tired. And edgy. And slightly irritable. Which could have been a problem because I had to visit the doctor this morning with Hannah. She has an earache and last night had a temperature so I figured it might be a good idea to let a professional check it out. I say it could have been a problem because the last time I had to take Hannah to the doctor I left feeling the doctor was just a tad obnoxious (not our usual GP you see). If that had happened today it would have been quite likely that the doctor ended up needing...well....a doctor.

However, this time it was different. Once again because it was short notice I had to take my chances with another doctor in the practice - sigh - why can't my children give me more notice of their ailments? So we arrive at the surgery in good time and take up our positions in the waiting room. The doctor (surprisingly quickly) emerges and beckons Hannah into the office. In we go, we each take a seat and the doctor says 'so Hannah, what can I do for you today?' Now this seems quite innocent doesn't it? And in any other circumstance it would be, except this doctor had a funny voice. She was one of those grown women with a baby voice. Hannah was so taken aback she couldn't reply - just stared wide-eyed at this baby/woman in shock. To save embarrassment I quickly jumped in and told her what was wrong. She examined Hannah's ear, all the while babbling away in baby, and announced that Hannah's ear was red and had some fluid behind it but it wasn't infected. Then she examined Hannah's throat and said 'but her tonsils are huge and infected'. I experienced deja vu. Because this has happened before, Hannah's tonsilitis disguises itself as other things. All this time Hannah had hardly said a word, just kept staring in amazement at the freakishly large baby with the medical degree.

Once it was all over we took our prescription and bid farewell to 'Bubzilla' and she held the door for us as we walked out of her office. I felt Hannah's little hand slip into mine and then her puzzled voice began 'Mummy....?' so I tugged her quickly away saying 'I know, I know'.

No comments: