Friday, August 29

What a week!

I have been so busy this week I haven't been near the computer long enough to write a decent post and, until this morning, had only made brief visits to my favourite blogs. It's an outrage!

It's been one of those weeks where everything congegrates to demand attention - you know how it is, there can be weeks of nothing then all of a sudden you're running around attending to things, seeing people, showing up as required and generally exhausting yourself with 2 sometimes 3 appointments a day. That was last week for me. I'm very tired and just slightly cranky.

Quite a few things were school related. Hannah's class are doing some screen printing for an art exhibition and the call went out for Mums to come in and help. I volunteered and went in and spent an afternoon getting covered in paint and a very sore back from bending over child sized sinks to clean the silk screens. It was fun though.

Today Aislin's class had a 'mini Olympics' and while I boycotted the real Olympics I was ok with this one because no small countries were harmed in the making of it. It started at 9.30am and ended with a sausage sizzle at about 12.30pm. There was a flame relay .....

The cauldron was lit.

There was a parade of athletes then the national anthem was sung....

There were the usual Olympic sports - scoopies....

....hoopies....

....and bean bags...

Then there was a closing ceremony and lunch. As with every outside event held at that school it was freezing. I don't know what it is, even the Christmas carol service, held outside in the height of summer managed to be so cold that one of the other Mums and I were huddled together wrapped in a picnic blanket.

Anyway, when it finished I had a couple of hours to kill before school pick up, I went to library then did a little bit of grocery shopping, got myself a coffee and went back to the school where I parked under a tree, tilted the car seat back a little and settled down with my book, planning an hour of peace and quiet reading and warming myself up with a hot coffee. About this time another Mum arrived to do her shift on the screen prints. She came over and asked me if I was helping too, I said 'no, I did it yesterday and I've been here all day today and I'm freezing so now I'm having a rest and drinking coffee - go away' she told me that she wasn't sure the other Mum would turn up and it needs two to do it - sigh - I told her to go and set it up and if the other Mum wasn't there by then she could come and get me and I'd help (you know where this is going don't you?). Yep, five minutes later there she is, in her apron, waving at me to come in. I tearfully abandoned my coffee and my book and did another shift on the screen prints.

I deserve a medal. Really I do.

No comments: